Pin It Now! My favorite part of this recipe was the yellow rice. I personally didn’t love the flavor of the ancho chili, but if you like a smoky pepper taste this recipe is for you.
Recipe per Cuisine at Home:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts ( 5 oz. each)
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
½ tablespoon ground cumin
½ tablespoon black pepper
2 dried ancho chilis, stemmed, seeded, broken into pieces
1 ½ cups tomatoes, chopped
½ cup onion, cut into chunks
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 corn tortilla, torn
1 cup chicken broth
Salt to taste
1) Season chicken with oregano, cumin and black pepper. Saute in 1 tablespoon oil in large sauté pan over high heat until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
2) Toast chilis in 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium heat, 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, ½ cup onion, garlic cloves, and tortilla; simmer 3 minutes. Stir in broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, and return chicken to pan. Cover and cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees, about 5 minutes. Remove breasts; puree tomato mixture in a food processor or using an immersion blender. Then season with salt. I used an immersion blender and would recommend transferring the sauce to a big pot or else it will splash everywhere!
For black beans
¼ cup onion
1 tablespoon garlic
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1) Saute ¼ cup onion and 1 tablespoon garlic in 2 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Stir in beans to heat through, then season with salt to taste.
For the rice
¼ cup onion, minced
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
½ tablespoon turmeric
½ cup dry brown rice
1 ¼ cups chicken broth
Salt to taste
1) Saute onion, garlic and turmeric in oil in a saucepan over medium heat 1-2 minutes.
2) 2) Stir in rice; cook 1 minute, then add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender, 30 minutes. Season with salt.
Serve beans with chicken, sauce and yellow rice.
Tip: Read through the entire recipe before cooking. There are a lot of steps, but it isn’t hard if you read through all the steps before cooking. Prep all ingredients together before cooking.
Nutritional Info: Per breast with 1/4 cup sauce, 1/2 cup beans and 1/2 cup brown rice
Calories: 575 Fat: 26(saturated 4 grams) Carb: 45g Sodium: 373mg Fiber: 8g Protein: 42g Iron: 4mg