We had quite the celebration this year. Pajamas, food, wii and movies. Party animals to the core! haha. New Year's eve is much more tame these days, but we still had a really good time. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time because Little Wright and I were playing Just Dance 2 on the wii. I have zero dancing ability. Seriously. None. But it was hilarious to see her shake her booty and for a few moments I felt like one of the Pussy Cat Dolls.
Midnight was crazy because the entire country erupts in fireworks. They go all out here too. None of that pansy stuff they sell back home.
Now that the fireworks are gone and the holiday season has officially come and gone, it's time to cleanse and focus. A few days ago I posted about my New Year's Resolution Part I. The other part is physical health. I've done a lot of research on several different diets and what I have concluded is most have a commonality which is low carb, cut out the sugar, cut out processed foods, cut out white starches and reduce your caloric intake. I want a lifestyle change. Diets work great, but for me right now I just want to eat healthy and follow the guidelines listed above. Also I am going to cut out red wine :( But only until I reach my goal and am ready to maintain.
So most of the recipes I share from now on will be lower in carbs, lower in fat and lower in calories. I will allow myself cheat days of course and am sure to share those recipes as well :)
Today I had a craving for chicken fajitas and since I don't want to use tortillas I decided a salad would be perfect. I looked online for a cilantro lime dressing and that's how the chicken fajita salad with cilantro lime dressing was born! The dressing does use honey, but it would be worth experimenting with a sugar substitute or even without the honest altogether for a more tangy flavor and no sugar.
This is my FAVORITE salad. I will definitely make this over and over. It was deelishus!!!
- 1 pound Chicken Breasts
- 1 bag Pre-washed Greens
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- ½ teaspoons Cumin
- ½ teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1-¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 whole Onion, Sliced Into Thin Strips
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, Sliced Into Thin Strips
- 1 whole Yellow Bell Pepper, Sliced Into Thin Strips
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ¼ cups Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cups Cilantro Leaves
- ¼ cups Honey
- ½ cups Olive Oil
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
Directions for salad
1) In a bowl mix together the olive oil, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2) Place chicken breasts in a bowl and pour the marinade over the chicken. Set aside while preparing the rest of the meal.
3) Heat a cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add about 1 tablespoon or so of olive oil to the pan. Let the pan heat up for a minute or two.
4) Once the cast iron is heated, sautee the peppers and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 min.
5) Remove vegetables to a plate and set aside.
6) Add chicken to the cast iron. Cook 6-8 min per side or until cooked through. Remove chicken to platter and let cool. Remove cast iron from heat.
7) Add bell peppers and onions back to the cast iron and coat with the pan drippings.
Once chicken has cooled, slice chicken breasts and mix with the pepper mixture.
Now make the dressing. (note the dressing can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge)
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette Dressing
Place garlic, lime juice, honey, balsamic vinegar, salt and the cilantro leaves in a food processor; pulse a few times to blend. Turn the food processor or blender on, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until incorporated into the dressing. Season to taste with salt before serving.
For extra deliciousness add some shredded cheese and sliced avocado to the salad.
* Recipe for the chicken fajitas was inspired by and adapted from http://www.food.com/recipe/steak-or-chicken-fajitas-63786
The cilantro lime vinaigrette recipe was inspired and adapted from http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/cilantro-lime-dressing/Detail.aspx